AB-104 (2020-21 Grade Changes)

What is Assembly Bill 104 (AB-104)?

The state of California recently enacted a new law that will expand learning and credit recovery options for students who may have struggled academically during the pandemic-impacted 2020-2021 school year. 

A component of AB 104 is the ability of parents/guardians and adult students to request that high school grades earned during the 2020-2021 school year be changed from a letter grade to Pass or No Pass for high school students rising to grades 10-12, as well as for students who were seniors during the 2020-2021 school year.

Grade change requests must be granted if such changes do not negatively impact a student’s GPA. There is no limit to the number of courses to which a grade change request may be made.

The bill prohibits schools from accepting grade change applications after the deadline

How does changing a letter grade to Pass/No Pass impact College admission?

A list of California colleges & universities that will accept for admission purposes, without prejudice, a grade of Pass of No Pass in lieu of a letter grade for current Grade 10-12 students can be found here: AB 104 Postsecondary Institutions (CA Dept of Education).  

NOTE: Some colleges & universities, including those in other states, may not accept a Pass or No Pass grade instead of a letter grade for admission purposes.  Prior to requesting a Grade Change, please research all post-secondary institutions that you are considering applying to after graduation.

If you are a Student Athlete, please review NCAA and NAIA eligibility center rules to understand how Pass/No Pass grades are calculated for eligibility to play in college.

Once a Grade Change to Pass/No Pass has be made, the former letter grade cannot be reinstated.

How do I request that a letter grade earned during the 2020-21 school year be changed to Pass/No Pass?

  1. Complete the Grade Change Request Form (ENGLISH) / (SPANISH)

  2. Email it  by 5pm on August 31st, 2021 or mail it (must be postmarked by 5pm August 31st, 2021) to:


Waterford High School
ATTN: Peggy Herndon
121 South Reinway Avenue
Waterford CA 95386

Email to Ms. Herndon (click here)
Use the email subject line: AB 104 Grade Change Request


Sentinel High School or Waterford Independent Study Program (WISP)
ATTN: Tonya Bibbins
121 South Reinway Avenue
Waterford CA 95386

Email to Ms. Bibbins (click here)
Utilice la línea de asunto del correo electrónico: Solicitud de cambio de calificación AB 104