Graduation Requirements

Board Policy 5127 states that eighth graders must meet minimum academic requirements in order to be eligible for participation in the end-of-year eighth to ninth grade promotion exercise (graduation ceremony). The minimum requirements for graduation are as follow:

  • The eighth-grade student will earn a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least a 1.5 (on a 4-point scale) for the eighth grade by the end of the eighth-grade year.

  • The eighth-grade student will earn no less than a “D minus” grade both semesters in each of the student’s Core Classes:  Mathematics, English Language Arts, Science and History/Social Science.  

  • The eighth-grade student will also have no more than one “F” in any Non-Core subjects within either semester.  

Failure to meet these minimum academic requirements will result in non-participation of the promotion exercise.

Students who have incurred financial obligations to the school will not be permitted to participate in the promotion exercise. Other requirements for participation in promotion exercises are covered in the disciplinary section of the student/parent handbook.

Parents/Guardians who wish to appeal a decision to retain may do so through the appeal process outlined in district policy.

Immunization Information

By August 16, 2011, all students entering grades 7th through 12th, need to have the Tdap booster shot (Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis Booster vaccine), or they will not be allowed to enter into school. If your student is scheduled to go to Summer School they must have proof of their Tdap booster shot prior to attending summer school classes. You can go to your regular doctor or to the Public Health Office to receive this booster. If your student has already received this booster shot, please bring a copy of the students shot record to the attendance office at Waterford Junior High, as soon as possible, to avoid any delays. The date for the booster must be the year 2003 or later, or after the student’s 7th birthday. If you have any questions in regards to this new California State Law (Assembly Bill 354), please visit www.shotsforschool.com.